machine generated dystopia
Collect power ups and mini maps to find your way through the procedural generated worlds of the Hop.
Hit "?" in the game for help.
Hit "esc" or "m" to return to the menu.
You should be able to figure out the rest yourself, but if you really need more info: read on.
When you get stuck
It is normal to get stuck when you haven't found the right power ups yet. To mitigate this open your inventory with "Y". Then use the cursors to select the Homeblock and hit "X". You will be teleported back to the center of the world, where it should be safer.
When you die in this game, there is no retry or extra lives. Dying is permanent. However this can be disabled from the menu, but only when you supported the game. You can support the development either by hitting the "Support This Game" button above and make a one time donation or by streaming micro payments with Web Monetization.
If you are supporting the game through Web Monetization with a subscription service like Coil you will be able to disable Perma Death automatically.
If you made a donation via itch.io, the game can check this automatically via the itch api, but it needs permissions to access your profile. When you change the setting, the game will do an oauth redirect to itch so you can give the game permission to request your email address. Then a serverless function checks securely wether you made a donation. I don't store any data or keys on servers.
2 player co-op
Connect 2 gamepads to play in local co-op mode. It is also an easy way to cheat around Perma Death, but you can still both die.
A Hopworld is either completely unpredictable or generated from a seed. The same seed will produce the same world each time down to the last pixel. You can enter a seed via the main menu.
Using a seed will not regenerate the world, when you die the world will stay the same. However your inventory will still be emptied and your maps too, unless you disable Perma Death.
- The game also auto-saves, even if you haven't made a donation.
- Another exception to Perma Death is when you just entered a new room. But relying on it can be tricky.
- The sandbox is not procedurally generated, but is used in development to test prefabs. Feel free to look around, but it isn't very exciting.
- The game stores your unique worlds in a local indexed DB in your browser, for faster loading. It shouldn't use more then 10MB. If it is somehow corrupt, you can use Clear Hopworld from the main menu. This will also wipe your inventory.
|Made with||Phaser, Pyxel Edit, Tiled|
|Tags||2D, Atmospheric, Exploration, Local Co-Op, Metroidvania, Perma Death, Pixel Art, Procedural Generation, Retro, Roguelike|
|Average session||Days or more|
|Inputs||Keyboard, Gamepad (any)|
|Player count||1 - 2|
- Perma Death can also be disabled with Web MonetizationMar 04, 2022
- Minor bug fixes and improvementsJul 12, 2021
- Hopworld launches!Jul 08, 2021
- Hopworld devlog 2May 25, 2021
- Hopworld devlog 1May 19, 2021